Advising Frequently Asked Questions

A class that I need for my degree is not offered this term. Where do I get help?

Consult Degree Planning to see what classes are offered in upcoming terms. If you need this class to graduate or to apply to a limited-entry program contact an advisor for assistance.

How do I adjust my schedule?

You may make changes in your course schedule through the end of the first week of the term. The changes should be approved by an advisor.

Adding a class

You can add a class using MyCGCC at any time before the beginning of the term.

Once a class has started, a written approval of the instructor is required. Use the Prerequisite Override Form or Late Registration Form to obtain the approval and submit the form to Student Services Office.

Dropping versus withdrawing from a class

There is an important difference between Dropping and Withdrawing from a class:

  • Dropping a class can be done during the first week of the term. No charges will be applied nor grades assigned to your record. Drop deadlines vary for classes shorter than 11-weeks.
  • Withdrawing from a class can be done by the end of the 8th week of the term. You will be charged for the class and a letter “W” (withdraw) will be assigned to your transcript. Withdraw deadline vary for classes shorter than 11-weeks.

Dropping or withdrawing from a class may affect your financial aid eligibility. Consult with our Financial Aid Office before dropping or withdrawing from classes.

How do I register for classes?

You can register for classes by using your student account MyCGCC. Learn about the registration process.

How does the number of credits I am enrolled in affect my financial aid?

Your financial aid is based on the number of credits you take per term. For example, if you enroll for 12 or more credits (full-time enrollment) you will be eligible for 100% of funds available to you for that term as indicated in your award letter. However, if you enroll just for 6 to 8 credits (half-time enrollment) you will receive just 50% of the financial aid available to you. 

Classes that are waitlisted do not count towards financial aid enrollement status.

How many credits should I take?

Successfully completing college classes requires time. One credit equals 1 hour of class on campus or online per week. For example, a  4-credit class equals 4 hours of class time per week. For every hour in class, plan for 1½ -2 hours of homework time. Therefore, full time students (12 or more credits) should plan for about 36 hours per week of class time and homework.

What are prerequisites?

Prerequsites are classes required in order to take more advanced classes. College level classes typically require that you have completed WR115, RD115 and MTH20. Some of the classes, such as ART Ceramics or Drawing, do not have any prerequisites. Other such as Science or Math may have more advanced prerequisites. Consult the schedule to learn about prerequisites for specific classes.

What classes should I start with?

Students who have not completed college classes should take a placement assessment to determine their class placement.

Students who have previous college credits should consult with an academic advisor to determine what classes would be the most appropriate. Learn more about transferring credits to Columbia Gorge Community College.

Will my CGCC credits transfer to other colleges or universities?

In most cases, yes, but careful planning is necessary! See an advisor, as soon as possible, if you intend to transfer to another college or a training program.

An advisor will help you to:

  • Select possible transfer colleges, univerisities or training programs based on your career goals.
  • Determine which courses you will need and choose courses that will be transferable. 
  • Research application and scholarship deadlines.

Will my credits transfer to other colleges and universities?

College level, general education classes (100-level and higher) completed at CGCC will transfer to other colleges and universities.